Slings, wraps and carriers
- Ring Sling – my first sling, purchased from markets at the beach before my daughter was born. It was bright coloured with yellow, red, orange, pink and white stripes. I couldn’t work out how to use it, until a wonderful friend showed me how when my baby was about 5-6 weeks old. And I’ve been baby-wearing ever since! This one is now with a friend up north.
- HotSling - I bought #2 and 3 when my daughter was about 3 months old using credit from an online store (I’d bought two nursing tops that exposed your stomach when you tried to access the ‘discreet feeding panels’.. the store wouldn’t refund me the money, so I choose to buy carriers rather than risk money of terrible clothes again. I’ve had other nursing tops that were brilliant, so it was just this particular design). The HotSling was mainly used for quick trips, such as getting the mail.
- Sleepy Wrap – I used this wrap from about 3-10 months, and found it great for long periods of time, and breast-feeding on the go. The only downside was that I really had to tie it on before I left home, as I didn’t like letting the fabric trail on the ground in the carpark as I was tying it.
- Ergo carrier – I’d been unsure about how I’d find structured carriers, as I’m fairly short, until I was able to try an Ergo on at a shop while away on holidays. I ordered one as soon as I got home! We’ve been using it ever since, from 10 months to now, and I’m sure we’ll be using it for much longer. In the past 7 months, I’ve actually been baby-wearing more than with a young baby, as I gave up on trying to get my daughter to sleep on her own during the day, as she’d always wake after 20-40 minutes. She now sleeps in the ergo during the day, and mostly has a much needed 2-3 hour sleep.
- Second sleepy wrap - I bought this second-hand off a local sell/swap/buy site, with the intention of it being a back-up when purposes of being able to lend it to anyone who asked about mine, and also as a back up if I’m privileged to have another baby down the track (my first often did little sick-ups in the ring sling, and I’d be desperately waiting for it to try so we could use it again!). I didn’t realise how many more I was about to acquire.. I now lend this to anyone who asks about baby-wearing for them to try.
- Peanut Sling - Bought second-hand from the same sell/swap/buy site. I leave it in the boot of the car, incase I somehow forget to put the ergo in.
- Baba Sling – another second hand one, sent to me by a generous person after I saw one second hand and asked about it. I need to find someone who’d like to borrow this one?
- Catbird Mei Tai - I was the lucky winner of this one through a giveaway, and it is what I reach for when the Ergo needs a wash (which it needs regularly.. but gets rarely!). I prefer this one over the Ergo for back carry, as I can tie the straps how I like, whereas the Ergo seems to pull on my stomach (suggestions anyone?)
- Limited Edition AngelPack ‘Natalie’ on its way once released – I could not be more excited about this one..!! AngelPack and their Australia distributor, Ninky Bear, ran a competition to select a fabric for a LE AngelPack, and not only did my choice make it to the 6 finalists, but won! The print is a black and white paisley, and will go with everything – I’m planning on using this as my ‘going out’ carrier, and keeping the faded ergo for farmwork and home.
- I was going to say my husband’s shoulders and my hip for this last point.. but I’ve decided to leave it open. One day soon I’d love to make it to a sling meet and learn how to back carry with a Woven Wrap. I think I’d then have to buy one of my own..
What slings/wrap/carriers do you have? And what’s your favourite?