The last few months seem to have flown by. We are in the process of building our first house, and it’s very exciting but it seems like we’re making decisions constantly. We had our own plan drafted, so right from the start, we were choosing room dimensions, window sizes and spacing, and the arrangement of the bathrooms and kitchen.
Here are 10 things that we have had to choose – some decisions have been very quick.. others involved weeks (or months!) of research!
1. A builder! We had quotes done from more ‘project style’ builders in our nearest major centre (100km away), but in the end went with an independent local builder. Some of our friends have built with him a few times, and recommended him, and their house was a recommendation in itself. He has consulted with us throughout the process, and has given us creative freedom in nearly all areas which has been great.
2. Bricks – we choose Ember Glow from Warwick Brickworks. They are individually made and fired, and we love the unique appearance, and high quality of these solid bricks. Check them ourhere
3. Kitchen – ‘Flint Crystal’ Formica (the budget didn’t stretch to granite benchtops!) with Polar White Laminex cupboards (these are being installed today!!)
4. We picked up a couple of bargains – a Smeg Rangehood on clearance for what I think was less than 20% of its original retail price.
5. Our oven is a double Omega one – so we have quite a range of appliance brands in our kitchen!
6. The Blanco ceramic stove top is very similar to this one, and we also found this at less than half the retail price. It’s still more than we had planned to spend, but I love the large double burner, so I think it will be great. 7. We have chosen a shade of grey from the Wattyl Interior Design paint range for our internal walls. I was concerned about VOC emissions, and this seemed to be a good choice, and the Wattyl ID website says that the paint has no odour or irritating chemicals, and is certified as environmentally preferable by Good Environmental Choice Australia.
8. And then we did the ’tile selection’ through Andersen’s.. decisions, decisions, decisions! We have chosen silver/black/blue as our colour theme, and I’m in love with some of the little feature tiles we’ve chosen for the kitchen splashback and bathrooms.
9. The carpet is a Burba one, in a dark blue fleck. I wasn’t able to do as much research into VOC’s as I would have liked, but hopefully in choosing a wool carpet, we have made a good choice.
10. Similarly, we did ‘selections’ through a local plumbing store for taps and sinks, and a ‘light’ selection from the electrical store too – fans, room lights, downlights, featurelights.. My head still hurts thinking about it..!
There seems to have been a hundred other little things that we have had to look at along the way, which hasn’t been easy with a 20 month old in tow.. I’ve been very thankful to my husband for making a lot of decisions without much help from me. The house is being bricked today, and it feels like it’s all coming together! I’m in cleaning and sorting mode in our current house now, in preparation for the move. I’m starting the 20 Days to Organise & Clean Your Home Challenge today. It might seem a bit crazy to be doing it when we’re about to move, but I’m hoping that by having sorted and tidied this house now, that packing and cleaning as we leave will be easier.
Any tips for making decisions? Or for packing and moving?!